Monday, July 25, 2011

"The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention." ~ Oscar Wilde

Please accept my heartfelt thanks for each and every donation received. Your personal commitment was incredibly gracious and allowed us to reach our goal. Your assistance means so much to me but even more to every single person affected by cancer. Thank you just doesn't seem to be enough. 


Who knew?

When I started this blog; this fundraising idea, it was on a whim. I hadn't thought about it, in fact, it wasn't even my idea. The Walworth County Cloggers (who my daughter dances with) had a Relay For Life team and the goal was to raise money for the American Cancer Society. I posted a status update on my Facebook that said if every one of my Facebook friends would donate just 99 cents I would have over $500 to donate to the Relay For Life.

A friend responded with I'm in!

Then another one said I'll donate, too!

And then another asked where's the donation button? I want to donate.

An idea was born. It seemed obvious.

Instead of a couple people donating a lot, maybe a lot of people could donate a little and it would add up. The saying goes if you save your pennies, soon you will have dollars. And dollars we got!

Because of you - yes, YOU - your generous heart, your giving spirit and your willingness to make a change - this little blog raised a total of $727.31 which was presented to the Walworth County Cloggers this past Friday at the Relay For Life.

From left: Walworth County Cloggers Director Shannon Wefelmann;
Amazing Cancer Fighter Heidi Schulz; Heidi's beautiful daughter, Katelyn; and me.

The cloggers had a team goal of raising $5,000... I have to admit thinking this was somewhat of a lofty goal for them. But they proved me wrong by raising over $5,000 and also winning the Team Spirit award. (Let me tell you, this group definitely has spirit!)

In 2006, one of their dancers was diagnosed with chronic myeloid leukemia. Michelle was determined to continue dancing for as long as she could and was a true example of spirit and determination. Today she is in remission, continues to dance and is also an instructor for the group. A better role model could not be found.


The Survivor Lap
Heidi & Michelle can be seen proudly sporting the purple survivor shirts!

Recently, a Clogging Mom of another dancer was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Heidi just happened to also be the Team Captain for Relay For Life. The event took an almost painfully poignant turn for her and her young daughter, Katelyn.

Heidi led the team with true grit and determination and a lot of laughter. She is an awesome example of never giving up, never giving in and blowing expectations out of the water. (You should have seen the campsite! It was beyond awesome!)


The fight isn't over and I pray the cure is within reaching distance. I truly believe that we're almost there. As long as we keep taking steps - no matter how small they may seem - towards finding a cure, we'll get there.

With your continued help and support, we will get there.


I would thank you from the bottom of my heart,
but for you my heart has no bottom. 
Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment