Wednesday, June 27, 2012

It's easiest to start with a first step.

I'll admit that when I was asked to do the just 99 cents blog again this year to raise money for the American Cancer Society I wasn't too sure. I mean, last year was awesome! But I hadn't planned anything. I had no preconceived notions. It just came about as a random thought... if each one of my Facebook friends would donate just 99 cents...

that way the burden would be shared...

that way a couple people wouldn't feel all the pressure...

that way a lot of small actions would make one big effect...

that way I wouldn't have to trudge door-to-door begging for a donation...


And it worked. More people than I ever imagined donated 99 cents, or a dollar, or five. Before I knew it I had a total of $727 to donate to the Walworth County Cloggers Relay For Life Team.

But then they wanted me to do it again. And I got nervous. What if it was just a fluke? What if people were tired of donating? It seems every time we turn around we're being asked to give to one worthy cause or another. And the fact is, they are all worthy. What if no one donates anything? What if this fails? What if I fail?

And then I thought what the hell is wrong with me?

Of course I have to try. Of course I have to fight. Of course I have to keep going strong, no matter what... because sitting back and doing nothing is not the answer.

Because if my daughter or my son or my mom or my dad or my brother or my sister or my best friend gets cancer I do not want to look at them and think I could have helped make a difference, but I was too afraid to try.

And I would want them to fight. Every single day. I would want them to get up and keep going... no matter how unsure the outcome would be. I would want them to face the day head on, be strong, and not give up ... because sitting back and doing nothing is not the answer.

Because if all 646 of my Facebook Friends would donate just 99 cents we would make a difference. I promise to collect every piece of spare change I can find and donate it to finding a cure for cancer. And I really hope and pray that you'll help me.



To donate, please use the donate button on the right side of this blog post.
All proceeds will go to the Walworth County Cloggers' 2012 Relay For Life Team to benefit the American Cancer Society.

No comments:

Post a Comment