Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Donations MATCHED today!!

Just 99 cents. It doesn't seem like much. Not much at all.

EXCEPT WHEN YOU GET A MATCHING DONOR!!

That's right! For today only, any donations made between 10am and 10pm my SUPER-DUPER AWESOME anonymous donor will MATCH (up to $100). That means we could EASILY raise $200 in one day!!

But, I wanted to know... what's up with the 10am to 10pm guideline?

"I was 10 years old when I first learned what cancer was. I didn't get it. I mean, I was told my aunt was sick, very sick - but she didn't look sick. She looked, well, normal, at least to me. But people were acting different. It was that difference that I felt but couldn't understand. Until later. 

I remember going to her house and being scared of what she looked like. She looked so scary. Her skin looked like a ghost and it was all wrinkly because she was so skinny. She looked like an old, old woman - except I knew she wasn't because she was a lot younger than my mom. But I was only 10 and I was just scared of what I saw.

My aunt used to do cartwheels in the lawn and roll down hills. Now her arms shook and she always had wadded up tissues that she pressed to her eyes because she cried all the time. I am ashamed to say I avoided her. I wouldn't give her hugs or even want to look at her. I try to forgive myself because I was only a child, but it's hard for me now, as an adult, to know that I wouldn't give her that love she craved at the end of her way too short life.

I was 10 years old when I went to my first funeral. It was my aunt's.

I wish I could do more. Matching only $100 doesn't seem like very much. But together, with help from your readers, maybe we can raise $200 today. I'd like to do this for my aunt."

Personally, I can't imagine how a child can wrap their heads around cancer. It's too big for just grown-ups. But it got me thinking about all the moms and dads and aunts and uncles and grandparents who are fighting their way through cancer while having to look into the scared eyes of a child. All those children afraid and confused, not really understanding what's going on around them. It breaks my heart to pieces. Too many pieces...

Ways to donate:
(1.) Directly at the American Cancer Society Relay For Life site.
(2.) On the right hand side of this blog on a little button that says PAYPAL.
(3.) In person. I'll be more than happy to see you!


All proceeds will go to the Walworth County Cloggers' 2012 Relay For Life Team to benefit the American Cancer Society.

No comments:

Post a Comment