Friday, July 6, 2012

Something to Think About

Yesterday, while you were running late, speeding through town, cursing the fact that you couldn't stop to grab a Starbucks, I was handed a business card with the name of an oncologist.

Last night, while you were trying on your third outfit, annoyed that you had nothing good to wear, I was calling my mother to tell her I had cancer.

While you were laughing with your friends and ordering another glass of wine and telling everyone how absolutely amazing the grilled salmon is, I was wrapped in my husband's arms, sobbing.

*

While you were trying on swimsuits and complaining about the size of your thighs, I was trying on my new mastecomy breast form and praying the cancer would stay away.

While you were complaining about how the girl in the salon gave you a bad haircut, I was trying to figure out a way to wrap a scarf around my head in a way that didn't scream cancer victim.

While you were whining about how tan you used to be this same time last year, I was throwing on a sweatshirt to make sure no one would stare at my permanent IV port. I just want to be normal again.

*

Half of all men and one-third of all women in the US will develop cancer during their lifetimes.

There is no sure way to prevent cancer, but there are things you can do to reduce your chances of getting it: stop smoking, limit alcohol intake, use sunscreen, eat healthy.

And support cancer research.

Consider donating just 99 cents.... if every person in your family, in your neighborhood, at your church, at your school --- would donate just 99 cents... we'd be that much closer to eliminating cancer.

Please consider donating JUST 99 CENTS. (This link will take you directly to my Relay for Life page; otherwise there's a handy-dandy PayPal button on the right hand side of this blog.)

No comments:

Post a Comment