Tuesday, May 24, 2011

All For One and One For All!

I am awed by the graciousness of others.

I started this kind of as a whim. See, there is this American Cancer Society Relay For Life and my daughter's clogging group had a team and as a mom I felt it was my responsibility to teach my daughter that we had to give back. That no matter how small the contribution, it is our duty to help. Plus, I was thankful. So incredibly thankful.

See, my daughter is healthy. But she wasn't always.

There was a time when she was sick. All. the. time. She would get fevers. Lots of them. Like a switch being flipped, she would be fine one minute and then passed out in a sweatting mess the next.

I took her to the doctor.

I took her back to the doctor.

I took her again. And again. And again.

And they did blood tests that scared the hell out of me. Test that came back with words like dangerously low white blood cell count and we need to understand why this is happening and possible indication of leukemia.

And I was scared. God, was I scared.

But somehow, mercifully, we dodged the bullet. Somehow we dodged cancer. I can't explain it - and to this day we still don't know why for two years she was so sick - but I'll take not knowing, you know? I'll take not knowing because my child did not have cancer.

And then something happens like Relay For Life and I know I'm in. I know I've got to at least try to make a difference. Because someone's child does have cancer.

And that mom is scared out of her flipping mind right now.
And so is that dad.
And so is that brother and that sister.
And that grandma and grandpa and aunt and uncle and cousin and best friend and teacher and everyone else that little, innocent life touches.



So, I cannot sit by doing nothing while I know someone else is hearing the words dangerously low white blood cell count, knowing that there is a real possibility they might not dodge cancer.

I cannot look at this loose change in the bottom of my purse, annoyed that it's adding all this weight to my bag, when I know that every single penny truly can make a difference in the fight against cancer.


I look at the people who come into my office, or who I pass on the street, or who are sitting next to me in the movie theater, or waiting in line at the grocery store and I can't help but count them.... and wish they would each give just 99 cents...


Six people in line with me at the checkout = $5.94
Eight people came in the office today = $7.92

Three people at the gas station, Fifteen co-workers, Twelve teachers = $29.70

Sixty Seven dancers, One Hundred Eighteen students, Three Hundred parishoners = $480.15

100,593 people in Walworth County according to the 2009 census = $99,587.07


So, do I think donating just 99 cents will help make a difference? You bet I do.

And you can help realize that difference by donating just 99 cents today.


To date, you amazing people have donated over $198 to be used in the fight against cancer. Together we can make a difference!


All proceeds will go to the Walworth County Cloggers' Relay For Life Team to benefit the American Cancer Society.

No comments:

Post a Comment