Tuesday, May 17, 2011

How do you begin to tackle something so huge? One step at a time.

My grandfather, Henry Sterken.

My uncle, David McCarthy.

My aunt, Barb Sterken.

One of my best friends in 6th & 7th grade, Veronica Orta.

My math teacher, Mr. Kahl.

My friend, Dan.

A young dancer, Michelle.

The most amazing woman I've ever met, Heidi.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. They have all had to deal with cancer. Some have won. Others have lost. And some are currently fighting the biggest fight of their lives... for their lives.

So what does someone so insignificant like me do to something so mammoth and huge like cancer?  Just 99 cents at a time.

The Walworth County Cloggers (which is the clogging group that my 9-year old dances with) has a team for this year's Relay for Life. (Michelle, mentioned above, is one of their dancers, and will be honored during the Survivor Lap. One of the Mom's, Heidi, is currently battling breast cancer and is our Team Captain.)

I remembered how in high school I would be hungry after school before track practice, but I wouldn't have any money to purchase anything from the school canteen. I would ask people for a quarter. Or a dime. And it seemed people were more willing to toss out some change rather than a whole dollar bill. That change would add up and pretty soon I'd be feasting on a Snickers Bar and a Welch's Grape Soda. (Obviously I didn't have the healthiest of eating habits.)

I figured maybe it's still the same way. In today's struggling times a $20 donation can mean a dinner for the entire family... but what if it was only 99 cents?

What if every friend I had on Facebook would donate just 99 cents? I have 565 friends -- together we could raise $559.35! Now, that would be something.

No comments:

Post a Comment